So many of you know the situation with my sister in law and her two kids and why she came to live with us a few years ago. She still lives near us and her kids have become like our own. We love them a lot and would do anything for them. Lately my sister in law has not been making right decisions and hasn't been a very good mom to her kids. We try to help out and be there for my neice and nephew as much as possible. My husband got a phone call yesterday for my nephew, he was crying and through the tears he whispered, "Uncle Brandon, remember when I used to live with you. I want to come live with you again." Needless to say it broke our hearts and I wanted to give him a big hug right then and there. So after this happened yesterday I started thinking about what it means to be a good mom and what our kids really want from us. So I asked my nephew why he wants to live with me and why he wants to come to my house all the time. The answer was simple. I stay home, clean my house, make dinner, and don't run to the store, video place, or friends house every second. I realized how simple these things were and that I do them without even thinking. I never realized how important making dinner for my family was. This whole time I thought I was boring because I never went anywhere (except the necessities) but it turns out that is what kids want.
This also made me think of my own mom and how she always did these things and I took them for granted. My mom made dinner every night and our house was always neat (now I didn't say spotless). I am so grateful that she did these things for us and that she was always there. I never remember want to live somewhere else or with someone else.
So all you moms out there who thought you were boring just remember that your not. Kids love boring moms.
Cloth Diapering a Newborn
12 years ago

7 comments:
I'll join you on the boring bench.
Thanks for sharing your story, sometimes it is nice to have some validation that the "boring" choice is the right one.
That made me feel better...and justified. Thanks for reminding us.
Thank you for reminding me how important being a "boring" mom is. I really needed that today!
That is aways a good reminder. I worry and stuggle with how good a mom I am all of the time. :P I hope things get better with your nephew and neice.
Maria, you are so not boring! You always do fun consistent things that are all about the kids!I think that is also the reason why they love it with you guys, because they are important to you and you SHOW them through putting your life "on Hold" for them. It breaks my heart too to read that about Devin! Good thing he has you guys to turn to! We miss you guys! (Kenzie talks about You, mia, all the time and Brayden ofcourse, haha) by the way that recipe is on my post. there is a link to it.
I hope things get better for your niece and nephew. Sometimes being a mom doesn't seem like the funnest job. It definitely has its rewards.
I really needed to hear this today! Thanks Maria! Wow, I so wish we were neighbors again. :(
Post a Comment