Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Grandpa Jensen


So my last living grandpa died on veteran's day and I have been so busy trying to learn a song to play at the funeral and then getting ready for Thanksgiving that I didn't get to do this post about him. My grandpa taught me a lot and I loved him a lot. He loved animals, farming, and the Lord. I loved going to his house as a child and helping him feed the animals or sometimes get a ride on the tractor. I also recall many camping trips with him as well. We spent a lot of time at his house when I lived in Emmett. One distinct memory I have of him has to do with sheep. My grandpa raised sheep and loved them. When lambing season started he would moved all of the mommas and babies into an old dairy barn so they would be warm and protected. When a sheep would have twins or triplets sometimes there would be a bummer lamb, which is a baby that the mom couldn't take care of. My grandpa would bottle feed these bummer lambs. This year that I remember he had one bummer lamb. He asked me one day when I was there if I would go out and feed this bummer lamb for him. I was extremely excited to do this but I was a little nervous because I didn't know which lamb it was. All of the babies were in the same pen together and I didn't know how I was going to find one lamb out of twenty. My grandpa told me not to worry that the lamb would see me with the bottle and come out. Being reassured I went out to feed the bummer lamb. I stood by the edge of the pen for what seemed like forever, probably only a few minutes, waving the bottle around and calling for the lamb to come and eat. Nothing would come, all the baby sheep just stayed together terrified of me. I finally admitted defeat and went back inside to tell my grandpa that the baby sheep wasn't out there, that it wouldn't come. He told me it was okay and that he would go out with me. We walked back outside and we were still twenty or so feet away and that baby lamb saw my grandpa and immediately broke free from the group and came straight to the fence to get it's dinner. I was amazed because I did the same thing and that lamb didn't come. My mom told me later about how sheep always know the shepherd. I always remember that and related it to the Savior and how the Savior knows each of us individual and that in turn we should all know him as well. My grandpa was a great man who will always be missed but I am grateful for everything he has taught me.

No comments: