At the doctor's Brooklyn had broncitis and Kyler he didn't know what was going on except that he was really lathargic and was reacting when he would put a cold wash cloth on his back. He told me his lungs sounded fine and that he wasn't running a fever but that something just didn't seem right with him. He told me to get an appointment with the Saturday clinic the following day and he would let the doctor know about Kyler. He also told me to watch him very carefully that night because baby's can get really sick in about an hour. Brandon had to work that night so it was just me and the three kids. I kept Kyler on my lap and the other two ran around and did whatever they wanted. I started to get worried when I couldn't get Kyler to eat again. He just seemed to weak. The other two got their own dinner, Lucky Charms, and I continued to watch Kyler. I started to notice him getting paler and then when Brandon called to check on us he was making this monotone moaning sound with his eyes partly opened but he was responding when I talked to him. Brandon said he would call someone to come give him a blessing and then I could decide what to do.
When I hung up the phone I decided to get Brayden and Brooklyn ready for bed so they would be in bed. After I got Brooklyn dressed I went to check on Kyler and he was limp, blue around his mouth and really clammy. I started panicing and threw him in his car seat and threw the other two in the car. I dropped them off at a friends and drove as fast as I could to the hospital. When I got to the ER I told the lady at the front desk that my newborn wasn't breathing well and she was making me fill out documents and sign things. I was so irritated. This was supposed to be the ER, weren't they supposed to help you and ask questions later. I kept checking Kyler to make sure he was still breathing. I was told to have a seat and someone would be with me shortly. I was really upset by then.
Finally a nurse came out told one look at Kyler and ran to the back. I followed him and as soon as he set the car seat on the table. He yelling down the hall for help and telling me to quickly get him out of the carseat. As soon as he was out he got his clothes off and instantly put the oxygen mask on him. Another nurse came in and found his pulse, which was surprising really strong. All I really remember from there was tons of nurses, respitory therapists, and two doctors were rushing all around asking me questions. I remember them putting the tube down his throat and seeing his color return. I also remember them sucking a lot of mucus out of his lungs. When he was stablized they told me they were taking him upstairs to the PICU. The doctor walked me upstairs to the PICU were I saw Kyler in a little baby bassinett hooked up to a ventilator and many other things. The doctor then discussed with me what they were going to do. He said they were going to put in a central line because they could get an IV, they were going to do blood cultures and test, and a spinal tap. He said they were looking for the reason he was so sick. He told me he would have to stay there for 7-10 days. I think that's when it really hit me how sick he really was.
I called Brandon and told him where we were and he couldn't find anyone to come into work for him so he had to wait until he got off. I had called my parents who then called my aunt who happened to be in town that weekend. My aunt was a NICU nurse for many years at St. Lukes and she came right away. Having her there was great. She explained all the machines to me and told me what they should say. This was extremely helpful later on because I knew when something was wrong. Brandon and his dad came up later and gave Kyler a blessing while his mom stayed at the house with Brayden and Brooklyn. I do remember the doctor asking me when I ate last and I told him I thought I ate lunch but couldn't remember. He thought I was going to pass out so he order food for me right away. I think he ordered everything on the menu because it was a ton of food, plus the cafeteria made a mistake and sent up two trays so I had tons of food.
My parents came up the next day and it was sad that the first time they saw Kyler he was hooked up to a ventilator and they couldn't hold him. They still have yet to see him well. Kyler spent 5 days in the PICU and 4 days on the pediatric floor. He was taken care of by lots of incredible nurses and RT and two great doctors in the PICU who I will be forever greatful for. They definitely saved my baby's life. I was told if I would have waited any longer to take him to the ER the outcome may have been different. We are greatful to still have our little boy with us and will forever cherish him.
It turns out Kyler had HIB and pneumonia. HIB is an illness that you get vaccinated for at 2 months. Apparently Kyler wanted to have it early.

5 comments:
I am so sorry you had to go through that. It is such a heart sicking feeling to see you child in so much distress. I empathize with you. Nik had some serious issues when he was born and spent 10 days in the NICU. I pray that he stays healthy and that he will be strong. Our prayers have been with you. Love you bunches.
Stacie
so so so glad he's ok!
I've always worried about babies getting sick with something they can't get vaccinated for yet. But it's good to know we have good doctors and nurses who can help. I still want to kick the dumb receptionist who told you to fill out paperwork. I'm glad you guys have him home now, you were definitely watched over and inspired.
That is all so crazy!!!!! It is amazing what their little bodies do. It is so difficult when they can't tell you what is wrong with them. Hope he continues to do well. Good Luck!!!
pretty much sobbing right now. i tried calling you. don't know if it was you or not. so, if you got my messages...good. you'll know i was thinking about you. if it wasn't you...well...then that person will think i was thinking of them.
love to have you guys over when things have settled down and you feel kyler is healthy enough. shoot me an email and let me know!
Post a Comment